Sunday, March 25, 2007

courage to embrace



paper collage on poster board.
In this piece I contrast my desire with my habit through symbols.

The women have no faces because when images are illustrated to define a feeling, they are not easily erased. The women display their love and partnership through their caresses. The giver yearns for belonging as her lover melts into their mutual vulnerability. The red curve in the background symbolizes the emotional oneness that grows through their honest commitment.

My inspiration for this piece came from the realization that I've only dated men in the past year out of habit and hetero-normative conditioning.

What I've desired is to be in relationships with women. The word “desire” is spelled out in the bubbles.


Blue squares are convention.

I am abandoning the heterosexual social construct.

No comments:

Post a Comment