Wednesday, May 9, 2007

challenging boundaries


Challenging social norms, historically-defined cultural roles, sexuality and gender... pushing the envelope seems to be the theme of my life right now. Question everything; life is constantly changing.

This piece is a duality in meaning of both my physical parameters in Washington,DC and of my contemplation of challenging my existing mental limits.

A diamond makes up the background for the piece and is also the shape of the district. The green line has "society" glued backwards upon it. There's an arrow with an "X" shooting through the green line.

The "X" sinifies womyn... the X chromosome. The torn edges are to illustrate that the womyn that challenge societal boundaries aren't always the well-behaved ones. We are strong, determined womyn that are challenging traditional gender roles and growing the limits of our backward society.

The fact that I live in DC was an important integration into this piece as I left my whole world behind to come to this city to start a new direction of creating myself. The green strip in the piece represents the metro green line and my stronger dedication to being more environmentally conscious.

No comments:

Post a Comment